The Australian Government has set a number of requirements, which operate and protect the industry and prospective students. Chisholm's application procedures for international students are in accord with ESOS Act 2000, ESOS Regulations 2001 and the National Code 2007 (National Code 2018).

Detailed information of the above legislation and Act can be found from the Department of Education website, or the International Education website.

Chisholm also has a range of policies and procedures including ones for international student refund and complaint resolution.


The Australian Government wants overseas students in Australia to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding place to study. Australia's laws promote quality education and consumer protection for overseas students. These laws are known as the ESOS framework and they include the Education Services for Overseas (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code 2018.

As an overseas student on a student visa, you must study with an education provider and in a course that can be found on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). CRICOS registration guarantees that the course and the education provider at which you study meet the high standards necessary for overseas students. Please check carefully that the details of your course, including its location, match the information on CRICOS.

For more information you can contact:

You have the right to receive, before enrolling, current and accurate information about the courses, fees, modes of study and other information from your provider and your provider’s agent. If you are under 18, to ensure your safety, you will only be granted a visa if there are arrangements in place for your accommodation, support and welfare.

You have the right to sign a written agreement with your provider before or as you pay fees, setting out the services to be provided, fees payable and information about refunds of course money. You should keep a copy of your written agreement.

You have the right to get the education you paid for. The Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Framework includes consumer protection that will allow you to receive a refund or to be placed in another course if your provider is unable to teach your course.

The ESOS Framework sets out the standards that Australian education providers offering education services to overseas students must obey.

These standards cover a range of information you have a right to know and services that must be offered, including:

  • orientation and access to support services to help you study and adjust to life in Australia
  • who the contact officer/s are for overseas students
  • if you can apply for course credit
  • when your enrolment can be deferred, suspended or cancelled
  • what your provider’s requirements are for satisfactory progress in the courses you study and what support is available if you are not progressing well
  • if attendance will be monitored for your course
  • a complaints and appeals process.

One of the standards does not allow another education provider to enrol a student who wants to transfer to another course if they have not completed six months of the principal (meaning final) course of study. If you want to transfer beforehand, you need your provider’s permission.

Your responsibilities

It is your responsibility to:

  • satisfy your student visa conditions
  • maintain your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the period of your stay
  • meet the terms of the written agreement with your education provider
  • inform your provider if you change your address
  • maintain satisfactory course progress
  • follow your provider’s attendance policy if attendance is recorded for your course
  • maintain your approved accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements if you are under 18.