Protection for overseas students

The Australian Government has set a number of requirements, which operate and protect the industry and prospective students. Chisholm's application procedures for international students are in accord with ESOS Act 2000, ESOS Regulations 2001 and the National Code 2007.

Detailed information of the above legislation and Act can be found from the Department of Education website, or the International Education website.

Chisholm also has a range of policies and procedures, including ones for international student refund and complaint resolution. See more information about this at the bottom of this page.


The Australian Government wants overseas students in Australia to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding place to study. Australia's laws promote quality education and consumer protection for overseas students. These laws are known as the ESOS framework and they include the Education Services for Overseas (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code 2007. You can read about the framework on the ESOS web page.

As an overseas student on a student visa, you must study with an education provider and in a course that can be found on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). CRICOS registration guarantees that the course and the education provider at which you study meet the high standards necessary for overseas students. Please check carefully that the details of your course – including its location – match the information on CRICOS.

For more information on your ESOS rights and responsibilities please refer to the course guide.

You can also contact:
Department of Education
ESOS Helpline: +61 2 6240 5069
For visa matters contact:

Department of Home Affairs
Telephone: 131 881 in Australia 

You have the right to receive, before enrolling, current and accurate information about the courses, fees, modes of study and other information from your provider and your provider’s agent. If you are under 18, to ensure your safety, you will only be granted a visa if there are arrangements in place for your accommodation, support and welfare.

You have the right to sign a written agreement with your provider before or as you pay fees, setting out the services to be provided, fees payable and information about refunds of course money. You should keep a copy of your written agreement.

You have the right to get the education you paid for. The Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Framework includes consumer protection that will allow you to receive a refund or to be placed in another course if your provider is unable to teach your course.

The ESOS Framework sets out the standards that Australian education providers offering education services to overseas students must obey.

These standards cover a range of information you have a right to know and services that must be offered, including:

  • orientation and access to support services to help you study and adjust to life in Australia
  • who the contact officer/s are for overseas students
  • if you can apply for course credit
  • when your enrolment can be deferred, suspended or cancelled
  • what your provider’s requirements are for satisfactory progress in the courses you study and what support is available if you are not progressing well
  • if attendance will be monitored for your course
  • a complaints and appeals process.

One of the standards does not allow another education provider to enrol a student who wants to transfer to another course if they have not completed six months of the principal (meaning final) course of study. If you want to transfer beforehand, you need your provider’s permission.

Your responsibilities

It is your responsibility to:

  • satisfy your student visa conditions
  • maintain your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the period of your stay
  • meet the terms of the written agreement with your education provider
  • inform your provider if you change your address
  • maintain satisfactory course progress
  • follow your provider’s attendance policy if attendance is recorded for your course
  • maintain your approved accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements if you are under 18.

Attendance and progression

We monitor student attendance and course progression in all our courses. You must attend all timetabled classes, practical activities and excursions. 100 per cent attendance at work placements is required for your enrolled course.

If you are enrolled in ELICOS or in VCE courses, you must achieve at least 80 per cent attendance in any study period.

If you are enrolled in an accredited course, you must pass at least 50 per cent of your course in each study period.

Failure to meet attendance or course progression requirements will impact on the duration of your study and could result in cancellation of your student visa.

Department of Home Affairs requires Chisholm to report students who are not making satisfactory progress. Chisholm policy and processes apply.

Complaints and appeals

We are committed to handling complaints in an effective and efficient manner.

The Chisholm Complaints Policy details the procedure students and staff should follow. These actions do not remove your rights to pursue other legal remedies.

A student can seek advice from the following agencies at minimal or no cost:

  • Department of Home Affairs – in relation to grievances arising from the ESOS Act (
  • Dispute Settlement Centre Victoria (
  • Office of the State Ombudsman and the Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman (usually in relation to the application of policies and procedures and administrative processes). The Ombudsman is generally the office of last resort once the Institute processes are exhausted. If the steps laid down in the relevant Institute procedures have not been exhausted, the Ombudsman may ask that they are before accepting any student grievance (

For policies and procedures that affect you, call Chisholm or visit

For your ESOS rights and responsibilities, contact the Department of Education and Training, visit, call the ESOS Helpline on email

For visa matters, visit, call 131 881 in Australia or contact the Department of Home Affairs office in your country.