The policies that may affect your life as a Chisholm student are located in one place. It is your responsibility to be aware of these policies and comply with them. 

You can access all Chisholm policies online and search via keyword.

Visit our policies website

Some of the policies you should be aware of include:

  • Student Code of Conduct
  • Withdrawals, Refunds and Breaks in Study
  • Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer
  • Complaints and Appeals
  • Special Assistance Application (assignment extensions)
  • Practical Placement
  • Fees and Charges
  • Academic Misconduct
  • Privacy and Freedom of Information 
  • Copyright and Intellectual Property

Some policies we would like to highlight…

Student Conduct of Conduct

It’s your job to read the Student Code of Conduct and make sure that what you do on campus meets our standards of behaviour. It’s not at all complicated: just treat everyone reasonably and don’t interfere with anyone else’s learning or enjoyment of Chisholm, and you’ll be fine.
View the Student Code of Conduct.


Plagiarism means to copy someone else’s work into your assignment, or to use someone’s idea without giving them credit.

There are standards to make sure you can use other people’s ideas and words without getting into trouble. 

You are able to refer to another person’s work in your assignments (for example, a journal article or text book) provided you cite the author in the body of the assignment and reference the original work in your bibliography at the end.

If you aren’t sure how to do this or want more information on plagiarism, speak to your teacher or contact the learning skills help desk located in your campus library.

You can find out more about plagiarism and other forms of academic misconduct by viewing the Academic Misconduct (QMS 129 01).


If you feel you have not been treated fairly, or your rights have been compromised, you can seek information, options and support.

We can provide information on your rights, clarify processes and help you to resolve concerns. Visit student services for assistance.